Comment by Franis on June 28, 2010 at 10:57am Here's more information about what engineers are up against on stopping the rupture on youtube: http://is.gd/d7oBd
BP is getting innudated with "ideas" about how to get the oil out of sea water that have had quite a bit more experimentation, working models and even full-blown patents completed...as well as products in production done!
Check this newscast out: http://is.gd/d7nos
This is only the first of some interesting problems reported by Kindra Arnesen, a fisherman's wife moved to activism http://is.gd/d7r4f
Here's the last 4:44 of the same speech: http://is.gd/d7rbN
Also, there are many problems with worker protection that need major changes - that Kindra has articulated. http://is.gd/d7oHD
So - there are many additional facets of the problem begging for solutions.
Comment by Franis on June 25, 2010 at 2:57pm
The newest unpleasant surprise is that oil and the oil dispersal chemical suspended in rains are now affecting crops on land. This Rupture may have already become too serious to repair and could wreck more devastation for a long time to come in every ocean town - world-wide as it spreads.
Floating Oil barriers that catch oil that has risen to the surface
huge wool pads that absorb the oil; drag them through the sea
Suck it up in a vacuum cleaner!
it appears that multiple ideas used to clean, contain and even recover the oil have been proposed, and some are being used. But most products that clean up the oil are being ignored.
there is the damage, chemicals do, when used for dissolving oil
oil usually dissolves after a certain period of time
water is moving a lot, there are tides
water maybe has different composition in different places?
Youtube is a great source for facts. People are making presentations there on their products that could be used for the oil spill that already are being manufactured
FOCUS: How to make containing the oil out at sea politically acceptable?
WHAT IS OUT THERE
• there are reports uggesting that it is bad to let the oil reach the beach
• water is moving (see our "current" session)
• oil is lighter than water
• politicians are there to act
• the oil ruins the wldlife for years
• oil spill do almost all their damage in the first weeks –as fresh oil loaded with toxic substances hit wildlife and marsh grasses,
• oil barriers
• politicians, media, oil swimming on and below the sea, oil at beaches, etc.
• some of the worst damage to occur from spills in recent decades has come from people trying too hard to clean them up.
CURRENT THINKING: Dominating thoughts
• politicians change their views the whole time not based on facts
• people need politicians to have faith
• the effects of oil spill and consequently the faith in politicans are related to how close to the oil spill people are living
• some people are more depressed over the spill, other need a differnt support from politians - they can be reach by facts and information
• policians are bought by companies
• politicians lie